Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Slump...

Hi, faithful readers.  Sorry I haven't had much to say lately--I got into a musical slump for a while there.  Worked a bunch of overtime and got worn out, then went on vacation out of town, and just got out of the musical habit for a bit.

I was revitalized by a recent workshop with David Grier.  It was great to see him play, and I had an unexpected opportunity to have a private lesson with him after the workshop, which was cool.  I appreciate his time when he surely must have been worn out with travel and teaching a workshop.

Here's a tune we picked together:  Home Sweet Home

He takes the first break, then we alternate.  He's the guy with the great ideas and great tone and loud guitar.  I'm the other one...

I'm trying out the David Grier style free-floating right hand for a while.  I'll see how it goes.  I like the idea of not having to change my hand position at all between strumming and picking.

I'm getting back to work on rhythm tracks.  Next up is Fox on the Run, then Temperance Reel.

-Dave

8 comments:

  1. That's not a slump, it's a well earned break! Looking forward to both Fox on the Run and Temperance, and in the meantime I am getting caught up on some of the other tunes I am less familiar with.

    Thank you again. Without a doubt my playing is better because of your rhythm tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all good Dave....all of us need the occasional break. Temperance reel is a goody, I've got that on my radar as well. Right now using your "Forked Deer" track to get up to some sort of (intermediate) speed level.

    In a month I'll be heading down to Phoenix and a 2-day flatpicking workshop with Steve Kaufman, so that should light up the fire for practicing even more. Am still hoping to get to his Kamp in June too!

    Max

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa...I just listened to that Home Sweet Home track you did with David Grier. Awesome picking by both of you!! You're right, he does have a LOUD guitar there.

    Max

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home Sweet Home sounds great, nice pickin. There's a guy on the Banjo Hangout that has posted a ton of backing tracks. His name is Mark Beck. They aren't the same quality level and variety of tempos as the ones posted here, but they are a good resource all the same. Here's the link:

    http://www.banjohangout.org/myhangout/music.asp?id=52855

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks 'a million Dave, be blessed in all you are.
    Bud

    ReplyDelete
  6. looking forward to old joe clark-hope all is well. been in a musical slump myself-it will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Louis,

    Thanks for the kind words. I saw your Youtube videos, very nice. Something about your phrasing reminds me of swing guitar. I'd be thrilled to collaborate on a swing tune, though I don't pick swing tunes very often. Let me know when you get your site up and running. I'll be happy to post links. Dave

    ReplyDelete