Monday, December 6, 2010

Cherokee Shuffle rhythm tracks

A couple of folks at Mandolin Cafe (F-2 Dave and cutterflys) requested this tune. It's been on my "should learn it better" list for years now. It comes up at jams now and again, and I can get through it but I don't really know it.


Also, if you have a chance to pass this blog on to someone else who might find it useful, please do so. I've mentioned it on Mandolin Cafe, Flatpicker Hangout, Harmony Central, and Flatpick-L because I normally read and/or contribute there. But I know there are many, many other internet places where bluegrass players congregate. Maybe you are a member of Co-Mando, or Fiddle Hangout, or Winfield-L, or whatever.

If you happen to be part of one of those, I encourage you to pass the word. I would have loved to have a free resource like this when I was learning to flatpick and learning the mandolin. I remember how helpful the free resources were that Mike Stangeland and Alois Kleewein and Mandozine gave away. I would love for this stuff I'm doing to be available for whoever would find it useful.


Edit: Oh, yeah. I've been meaning to include youtube links with these tunes.

Josh Williams, Andy Falco, and Chris Eldridge (Critter has some impressive guitar mouth in this one.)

Edit 5/22/11

Chords:

With a capo on the 2nd fret--
A Part
| G | G | G D/F# | Em | C | G | D | G | (x2)
B Part
| C | G | C | G | C | G | G D/F# | Em | D | G | (x2)

With no capo--
A Part
| A | A | A E/G# | F#m | D | A | E | A | (x2)
B Part
| D | A | D | A | D | A | A E/G# | F#m | E | A | (x2)


21 comments:

  1. thanks! great tune. nice to have it slow to work on some variations. i get stuck playing the same break to fiddle tunes. its nice to have a guitar player who doesnt mind playing it 10 times in a row at 200 bpm!

    keep doin what your doin!

    ive sent a link to your site to my BG friends and they all love it.

    salt creek would be nice ;)

    mike (banjo)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike! Salt Creek is now on the list, right behind Arkansas Traveler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thank you for posting this. I was wondering if you could post the mandolin tab and/or the mandolin accompaniment? The key is A right? You're doing great work and I'm very grateful. Thank you a million times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you post the chord progression please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure thing. I'm working my way slowly through the older posts and adding chord progressions, but it's taking a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave THANK YOU SO MUCH SIR! It's a very kind thing you're doing posting all this great music for us folks to jam to. I've been here just about non-stop since I found this page a week ago!
    Please send me an e-mail and I'll try to find a way to repay you. Thank you again and again sir.
    e-mail is: jeremy(at)teamxecution.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's very kind, but there's no need to repay me. I would be recording these rhythm tracks for my own use anyway. I'm definitely glad to hear you're enjoying them, though, and thanks for the kind words.

    -Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any chance of getting this at like 150bpms? Sorry to sound like on old lady... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if the beat is to fast and you are using windows media player, you can right click the play icon and choose slow play back. comes in very handy while learning a new song.

      Delete
  9. Sure. After I finish and post the rhythm tracks that were requested for Huckleberry Hornpipe, I'm planning to go back and add slower (and in some cases faster) tracks to the tunes I did a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! Thank you for these, Dave, I am competent to play Blackberry, Whiskey, and Salt Creek at jams and festivals now. This has made my life good! I'm working on Cherokee Shuffle, and I put the track in the slow downer on my ipad, but would love to be able to play along at slower speeds off the laptop with nice speakers too. So if you do get to it, it'll be used and appreciated. Kind Regards, J (Longmont Co)

      Delete
  10. Great resource. Wish I had it a long time ago. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A big hello fro France and a big thank you for those practise tracks that keep me in good shape in my early retirement, because I have no one around to play with and your blog is very helpful! Cheers, jean;

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonjour, you're very welcome Jean. Thanks for saying hello. If you get a chance to jam with Phillipe Perard or Alois Kleewein (the only two French flatpickers I know besides you), jump on it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This has been most helpful, and I've been here often.
    Thanks! Jim

    ReplyDelete
  14. Many, many thanks! A true gem this blog of yours! I'm sending this link to all my musician friends. BTW, I play the banjo, and this site is equally useful ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You helped me a lot with your backing tracks to learn this tune. Please, take a look at this vid, where I'm playing it on the banjo using this backing track:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQc2Om5spZk

    THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Raul. Nice picking. -Dave

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're the Best!

    I always recommend this site to players I associate with.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm using these tracks to get my fiddle chops up to par. Thank you so much for taking the time to make this available!

    ReplyDelete