Sunday, March 20, 2011

Daley's Reel

I'm interrupting your regularly scheduled programming (which would have been Fisher's Hornpipe) to bring you Daley's Reel, a fiddle tune in Bb. This tune is a homework assignment from a recent lesson with my new teacher (my first-ever official guitar teacher, come to think of it!) Mark Cosgrove.

What profit is there in being an apprentice, unless there is a master to learn from, right? I'm excited to be taking lessons from Mark--my impression so far is that he's insightful & quickly identified areas that could use improvement, and he's good at giving critical feedback in a constructive way.

Two of my homework assignments from our first lesson were to learn Daley's Reel (2 breaks in different positions) and get it up to standard reel tempo of ~224 bpm, and to get my contest arrangement of Beaumont Rag up to ~224 bpm.

The rhythm tracks:

The chords:
(A part)
| Bb | Bb | F | F | Bb | Bb | F | Bb |
| Bb | Bb | F | F | Bb | Bb | F | Bb7|
(B part)
| Eb | Eb | Bb | Bb | F | Bb | F | Bb7|
| Eb | Eb | Bb | Bb | F | Bb | F | Bb |

Or, for guitar, with capo on 3rd fret:
(A part)
| G | G | D | D | G | G | D | G |
| G | G | D | D | G | G | D | G7|
(B part)
| C | C | G | G | D | G | D | G7|
| C | C | G | G | D | G | D | G |

Here are some youtubes of the tune:
The Mike Snyder Band (twin fiddles! Daley's the first 3 times around, then it goes into Forked Deer)
Shadd Cobb (with a Mike Compton mando break)
I don't know who these guys are, but they do a nice version (with dobro!)

12 comments:

  1. Fantastic as usual! Thanks for taking the effort of adding the chords. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice suprise! Listing the chords is very helpful. Thanks yet again. Here's a great take on Beaumont Rag by Tyler Grant:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2P5LWDGEUo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys. Tyler Grant is the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome man. I appreciate all the work you put into this. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dave! I love what you're doing here, helping alot of people out! Any chance you might put some minor tunes up like "Jerusalem Ridge" in the future? Thanks again for everything, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tune. Trying to get Scott Vestals version from Bluegrass 95 down. Its nice to have it at some more manageable tempos.

    Thanks!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, y'all. I'll put Jerusalem Ridge on the request list--be aware, though, that there are several requests ahead of it. I'm also thinking about Lonesome Fiddle Blues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much, I have working on these tunes for the last year. However, always wanted to create the rhythm tracks, but have not had the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your site...any chance you can do "old joe clark "

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Dave. I did some Old Joe Clark tracks, but I will update the sidebar and make them easier to find.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Dave, got my songs mixed up..I meant "9 lb Hammer"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good call. I'll put that on the list.

    ReplyDelete