Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Big Sandy River rhythm tracks

My wife and younger daughter (1.5 years) were in the basement with me while I recorded some of these. You might hear some baby noises in a couple of tracks.


There's a version of this tune I like with Adam Steffey, Clay Jones, and Scott Vestal, from an album with the unprepossessing title of "More Ultimate Pickin". It's on iTunes if you want to check it out. Also, Bryan Sutton does a great version on "Bluegrass Guitar".

Here are some youtubes of it:


Some living room pickers doing a great job (The banjo player recreates Scott Vestal's break.)


8 comments:

  1. What a great resource you are creating and sharing here.

    Many Thanks, Harry (Australia)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Cow! I just discovered this site. You're rhythm playing is terrific, and in terms of this site, what a terrific resource you've created! I just started learning Cherokee Shuffle at the end of December for the same reason you did - a fiddle player at my local jam always called it and I always had to stand by idly holding my mando while everyone else had a go at it. This week was the first time I broke it out after a solid two weeks of woodshedding it and I got rave reviews for my first attempt at playing it in the jam. Definitely brought a smile to my face. I look forward to using some of your backing tracks to help me practice some variations I'm working on for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Alex. I'm glad you're liking it. Also glad to hear about success at the jam. Happy picking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited to have found this site! Please don't stop posting rhythm tracks. I really like it when you link a pdf with tablature. You have single handedly increased my progression ten fold. Thank You and great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. I'm still making rhythm tracks, but have slowed down some due to working out some right-hand technique changes. The current rhythm tracks I'm working on are for Fox on the Run. Next after that is Temperance Reel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your site and I am stunned at what a wonderful resource you have provided. I have been playing mandolin for three years, and this is just what I have needed to improve my playing. Thanks so much for what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The 220 version around 1:39. What kinda critter is that?

    Neil Yockey

    ReplyDelete