Friday, November 27, 2020

Cattle in the Cane

A cool & unusual fiddle tune. The first time this tune really made an impression on me was at my first flatpicking contest -- Grand Lakes Fiddle Fest. Jerry Shadrick played his arrangement on a Brazilian Rosewood/Adirondack Spruce dreadnought guitar he had made, and it sounded amazing. I don't know if I've ever heard a guitar sound better through a sound system.

This tune changes from A major to A minor halfway through, and also borrows from the melodic minor scale (the G sharp contained in the E7 chord).

Here's a guitar tab: Cattle in the Cane
And a mandolin tab: Cattle in the Cane - mandolin.

This arrangement has some Tony Rice influence, and some influence from a few other fiddle arrangements. One thing that I do differently than some--I use an E minor chord in the last measure of the A part. Some people use the same E7 chord as in the B part, but it doesn't particularly make sense as all of the melody is in A mixolydian, and I never hear anyone emphasize the G sharp in the A part, so I stuck with diatonic chord of E minor.

Here are some rhythm tracks:

Chords:
||: A | A | G | G | A | A | G | Em A :||
||: Am | Am | C | C | Am | Am | C | E7 Am :||



No comments:

Post a Comment